Reasons to Add a Hazmat Endorsement to Your CDL

At HDS Truck Driving Institute (HDS truck driving school), we offer a variety of programs that allow you to earn your commercial driver’s license (CDL). In addition to helping you prepare for and pass the written and skills tests, our Class A CDL Training Program provides three endorsements, including hazardous materials, also known as hazmat. This endorsement demonstrates your ability to safely transport toxic chemicals, explosives, flammable gases, or other materials that the Department of Transportation (DOT) classifies as hazardous. 

Adding a hazardous materials endorsement to your CDL can benefit you in many ways:

Get Better Pay for Transporting Hazmat

Most truck driving jobs pay per mile. The amount you make will depend on your experience, the type of goods you are hauling, and whether or not your trucking company offers other bonuses or incentives. Transporting hazardous materials can earn you more money per mile. This is because of the additional safety considerations that must be addressed when transporting this type of freight. As a result, having your hazmat endorsement may help you land a higher-paying trucking job. 

Qualify for More Trucking Jobs

Once you earn your CDL, you will be able to start looking for jobs in the trucking industry. Adding a hazmat endorsement may give you more options for your employment. CDL endorsements show potential employers your commitment to safety and make you a more attractive candidate. The hazmat endorsement also allows you to drive for companies who transport these potentially dangerous materials. When you attend HDS truck driving school, we offer job placement assistance. Our team can help you find jobs where you can use your hazmat endorsement to earn more money.

Combine Hazmat and Tanker Endorsements

For some truck driving jobs, a combination of endorsements may be required. Hazmat and tanker endorsements are often earned at the same time and this combination is considered an X endorsement. This may be required for jobs transporting dangerous gases or liquids. Much like the hazmat endorsement alone, it can increase your pay as a truck driver. At HDS truck driving school, you can earn both the hazmat and tanker endorsements. 

Additional Requirements

Before you begin the process of earning your hazmat endorsement, you should be aware that this endorsement has additional requirements beyond what you need to get a CDL alone. The Transportation Safety Administration (TSA) regulates who can and cannot earn a hazmat endorsement and you will need to complete a full background check in addition to passing the written test. If you are interested in attending HDS truck driving school, we can help you understand these requirements and determine if you qualify. 

Earn Your Hazmat Endorsement With HDS

At HDS, we pride ourselves on preparing our students for rewarding careers in the trucking industry. Our classes include a combination of classroom learning and hands-on training and are taught by highly-skilled and experienced instructors. Not only will you earn your CDL, but you can also receive hazmat, tanker, and doubles/triples endorsements when you complete our Class A CDL Training Program. 

Contact us today to learn more about our CDL school and how you can earn your hazmat endorsement.